Friday, April 17, 2015

Daredevil, Skittles and Jesus: A Serious Review


by Krysta Tawlks
April 17, 2015

If you have been described as happiness in a bottle, a bundle of joy, or eternally optimistic, then you should watch this show.

Why? Only a person unwaveringly upbeat and impervious to depression can watch this show without succumbing to dread, anxiety, or scary dreams.

Daredevil, or Dared(evil) as I like to say, is an original Netflix show that starts out dark literally and figuratively. Even daytime scenes look like you’re watching everything through sunglasses. The brooding lead actor—that British guy from Stardust—speaks in a calm voice about the devilish deeds he will commit. I did not know the devil was a Catholic. I sense a joke at the expense of the Catholic Church on the tip of my tongue…No, it’s gone. I lost it.

Our introduction to the main character is promising. Matt Murdock has a cute smile and visual impairment never looked so good. His assistant, Foggy, eked out a couple laughs.

You’ll see blood splatters, stalking, murdering, sharp objects in combat, blunt objects in combat, maniacal speeches…and that’s all from the good guys. Then, the bad guys have their turn. Avert your eyes! No, I’m eating pizza!

Isn’t this a superhero show? It’s nothing you haven’t seen before on TV, but for Marvel…yes, maybe it is the first time.

If you think Foggy, a character meant to lighten the mood, is going to help you through this, you’re wrong. He’s funny, but it’s like a cute little sister braiding your hair while you watch the Passion of the Christ. It doesn’t match and it feels weird.

For anyone with a tendency for brooding or pitiful sighing, I suggest balancing your viewing with some brightly colored foods like Skittles or a donut with sprinkles to help cheer you up…or holding a kitten is also a good idea.



Rating: 4.5/5 stars--For those who can handle darker themes and appreciate deeper characterization. A compelling look at the line between good and evil, and the necessary and/or questionable lengths a hero must go to make something good. Not for children.


No comments:

Post a Comment